Thursday, July 24, 2014

Sunday Live Oak Farmers' Market

Sunday mornings around my house can be crazy.  Our boys Charlie (5) and Calvin(3) wake up around six o'clock and usually launch straight into a loud raucous of play and quickly discover who between their mom and me wants to sleep more and who is willing to get up and feed them.  Our 5-month-old Pearl usually receives a morning feeding, and then I take her and let my wife collect a little extra sleep by herself.  My goal is to transport our family to the Farmers' Market.  This is my family’s Sunday morning routine for getting to the Live Oak Farmers’ Market and here are a few suggestions to help you make it a weekend ritual too.


First priorities--food, clothing, and caffeine.  I make sure the boys eat enough food that they allow me to help them take off their jammies and put on some appropriate clothing for being in public, knowing that they are going to have something tasty to eat as soon as they show up at the market.  Some of their favorites include rice and beans with queso fresco from Garcia Mexican Food and pepperoni pizza from Uncie Ro's wood-fired pizza oven.  Sometimes I bring scooters, a tricycle, or toys to keep them busy until their friends show up.  I try to eat a light first breakfast at home with a black or green tea so I don't leave the house in rabid desperation and I can really enjoy my first coffee, a cappuccino from Lulu Carpenters, at the market while I check the menu at the Truck Stop (the arepas are my favorite). 


Now, here is one of our family tricks that allows us all to make it to the market with smiles on our faces.  I drive the boys to the market and my wife puts the baby in the stroller and walks to the market (2 miles).  This way I get to arrive at the market early since it is also a place of business for me, and I like spending most of my morning there while my wife enjoys a mellow morning at home with just the baby and then some exercise with a guaranteed ride home.  We usually leave with one or two boxes of produce, so it’s nice to have a car to carry it home with and not have to huff that much produce home on foot for 2 miles. 

Another big thing that allows us all to hang at the Sunday Live Oak Farmers Market is meeting my parents there.  Having Grandma and Grandpa at the market when the kids arrive is huge and allows me to get some early shopping done so I don't miss items that sell out early in the market.  Knowing that they are going to be there is sometimes what gets the boys out of the house and into the car in the first place.  The boys also know that Grandma can be more easily persuaded into getting them a cinnamon roll from The River Cafe or ice cream from the Penny Ice creamery.

Here are a few more suggestions of activities that you can mix with the Sunday Live oak Farmers Market:

1)      Walk or ride your bike.  There is a safe place in the middle of the market to put your bikes while you shop.
2)      Surf early and hit up the market on your way home.  The East side has about 15 surf spots to choose from not counting spots for body surfing, a morning dip, or a beach walk.
3)      Go for a swim at Simpkins Family Swim Center just up the street from the market on 17th Ave.
4)      Bring a cooler to put your produce in so you don't have to go home right away. 
5)      Have breakfast, lunch, or a snack at the market.  That way you are not in a hurry and nobody gets grumpy from low blood sugar.  Our prepared food vendors source from the market.  Grab a table and listen to the live music while you sit and enjoy a meal prepared using fresh, local, sustainably grown produce.
6)      Meet or bring a friend to the market.  Make food a social experience by not just eating with friends and family but by shopping with them as well.  This is also a good way to learn from and teach others about choosing and preparing the food we eat.

What is your Farmers’ Market ritual?



No comments:

Post a Comment